Monday, October 19, 2009

Cat and Chicken






















Today I had the opportunity to sit with Nana, alone, and learn a little more knitting. Ami and I went to Grammy's house, while Eden and Noah stayed home with Lydie and played. Ami sat with Grammy and colored a picture of birds and lions--eventually they left, with Ardes, to go to a free concert of 60's music at the art center. Grammy told me later that Ami sat on her lap the whole time while she sang in her ear :) While they were gone, the house was quiet and peaceful while Nana and I finished knitting a chicken doll and then a cat doll. We each knitted the bodies of the dolls, and stuffed them, created their faces, and then when Ami returned she finger-knitted a little tail for the cat. It was really nice to just sit and have some quiet with my Nana. I hate the we live so far away. Maybe we will have to go for another visit soon. I got some video of her knitting style and cast on techniques, and heard a story of how she returned home one day when my mom was a young girl and found her climbing the light pole over the street near their yard.   She also told how my mom was once shimmying along the clotheslines between theirs and the neighbors backyards. She didn't have interest in knitting because she couldn't sit still and would rather be outside climbing a tree. Sounds a little like Ami, although Ami is definitely able to sit and focus carefully. She already has the handwriting of an adult, at 7 y/o, and is capable of wrapping the felt wee folk doll's legs and arms with embroidery floss, which I can barely tolerate for the tedium necessary to do it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment